17.10.07
The End of an Era.
I'm giving up my French minor.

To a lot of you out there, that's not much of a surprise--indeed, I made this little announcement a few weeks ago. I do feel the need however to announce it to the universe and explain myself in turn.

It's no secret that I have an obsessive love for the French language. Ever since I accidentally took French I my freshman year of high school, I've wanted to learn as much French as I possibly could. I devoured each class I took, adding more and more conversational knowledge to my repertoire until I could speak the language fairly well. I love the elegant pronunciation and often find myself listening to how the language sounds instead of interpreting it. I looked forward to each new French class that came up on my path to receiving a minor in my favorite foreign language.

Until last semester. As I've chronicled here on my blog, French 3230 was not my favorite class--my teacher was not a native French speaker, and he exaggerated his pronunciation to the point of sounding like Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast--and his class was a waste of time, to boot. Of course, the straw that broke the camel's back came in the form of French 3030. My professor was wonderful; she was obviously passionate about French literature and had a good sense of humor to boot. The class itself, unfortunately, was nothing more than a literature class focusing on France that happened to be taught in French. It came complete with plenty of literary criticisms--to be written completely in French.

Anyone who knows me would also know that I hate writing literary criticisms. I literally danced for joy when I was done with every English and Literature class I would ever have to take for the rest of my life a few years ago. Another thing I hate is writing papers in French--I swear, molasses is faster than trying me trying to put all my ideas down in an organized format while at the same time adhering to the rules of a language other than my native tongue. Put the two together, and you have my ultimate nemesis: literary criticisms to be written in French.

Oh, the sight poor Lauren and Seamus were subjected to when I was attempting to write my first assignment. Tears were shed, feelings were hurt, higher powers questioned--it was not one of my best moments for sure. While I have written a few literary criticisms for French classes before, it was that night I realized just how tired I was of them. I began to wonder why I was subjecting myself to something I hate in the first place--for a minor that I can't even use in my career field? The whole point of minoring in French was to learn the language for fun. I certainly wasn't having much fun.

So, I withdrew from the class and am dropping my minor in favor of one in Women's Studies. It's a minor pertinent to my Psych major, and one that I'm also very interested in. Don't get me wrong, I still love French, but my French academic career is officially over. It was a good run, but I feel I've gleaned all the information I wanted, and now's a good time to get off.

Salut!
Anonymous at 6:49 PM


  ¢ prénom:  Catherine
  ¢ âge:  Twenty-One
  ¢ berceau:  Raleigh, NC
  ¢ en ce moment:  Georgia
  ¢ poste:  crudesunlight {at} gmail {dot} com
  ¢ préféré:  Knitting, singing, playing guitar,
     writing music, collecting vinyls


amigone
Boredom Incarnate
Fantasyscape
Inner Voice
Mososo Kruppe!
Razored Wings
The Seraph's Atelier


  ¢ StarSpine Hoodie
  ¢ Gold Pullover
  ¢ Coupling


Je t'ai croisée
Un samedi soir
Et j'ai jeté sur ta silhouette
Une poignée d'épices colorées
Mon but était clair
T'envoûter
Tout en restant
Libre-moi et libre-toi
Car le roi de l'amour
N'a plus besoin d'esclaves

Adieu, adieu la nuit
Adieu tristesse, adieu les larmes
Je ne suis plus celui
Que tu as connu, plus le même
Ô bel enfant
Qui a tant pleuré
Adieu tout est fini
Adieu les larmes, adieu la nuit

Et le soleil de minuit a brillé pour nous
Jusqu'à l'arrivée du jour
Alors nous nous sommes séparés
Comme déjà saturés des délices du futur
Et j'ai marché seul
Guidé par ton ombre
J'ai traversé la ville déserte
Encore étincelante
Du voyage des rêveurs

Je t'ai croisé un samedi soir
Et déjà j'aimais l'odeur de ton rire
Et le soleil de minuit a brillé pour nous
Jusqu'à l'arrivée du jour

~Arthur H 

 
 Music
  ¢ Arthur H
  ¢ Blackfield
  ¢ Camille
  ¢ The Dissociatives
  ¢ Eisbrecher
  ¢ -M-
  ¢ Megaherz
  ¢ Nine Inch Nails
  ¢ Oomph!
  ¢ Porcupine Tree
  ¢ Silverchair
  ¢ Steven Wilson HQ
  ¢ Tweaker

 Other Links
  ¢ Craftster
  ¢ EML Studio
  ¢ Feministe
  ¢ Girls Read Comics
  ¢ Marnie Maclean
  ¢ Pandemian
  ¢ PostSecret
  ¢ Rainbow Parcel
  ¢ Stumptuous
  ¢ Tom and Lorenzo
  ¢ TWoP
  ¢ VG Cats
  ¢ Yarn Harlot
  ¢ You Knit What Part 2


site created using
Notepad and Photoshop CS
design by Lauren

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Powered by Blogger!